Thursday, April 21, 2011

Song Of The Day: LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous!


I was first introduced to this band, and this song during my senior year of college by my former roommate. At the time we lived a floor apart, but his awesome sound system, extensive taste and music and our shared appreciation for danceable tunes meant I often found myself down on his giant orange couch listening to a combination of new music, 90's rock, 90's dance music, or the New Deal's "Gone Gone Gone" and "VL Tone." As the first track on LCD Soundsystem's second album, this song served as a proper introduction for me to their music. It wasn't until 1:40 that I realized this was a band and not a DJ, but that realization was a fantastic one. This was at a time in my life where a strange void had been created in my soul, I was moving away from the musical genres of my youth into uncharted territory. I had just spent the prior summer attending two completely different music festivals (Southside in Germany & Camp Bisco V in Mariaville, NY) and didn't necessarily have a bearing for where I was in my own musical exploration. Hearing this song for the first time, and the 100s of times since, has given me a solid grounding in setting the parameters and priorities of my lifelong musical search. It would be difficult to argue that this is the best song on the album, even for me (probably "All My Friends," of "Us v Them"), but I think it was the best introduction I could have had to a style of music that includes many of my current favorite groups (Soulwax, Holy Ghost!, !!!, The Juan Maclean).



*Image Couresty of DFA Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment