Monday, April 18, 2011

Song Of The Day: Caravan Palace – Star Scat


Today's posting comes from Adam Thime: Caravan Palace is a French sextet that fuses electronica with jazz and swing. The result is a sound I find somewhat difficult to describe. I will attempt to do so by saying that it sounds like something off of the Triplets of Belleville soundtrack combined with the hip-hop beats of Pretty Lights. And then there are the vocals. As the attached track’s title would suggest, Star Scat showcases the jazz vocal. Not since Jerri Blank was belting it out for Jazzy at Flatpoint High have I enjoyed scatting quite so much.

Caravan Palace’s self titled album came out in 2008, but I did not hear them until 2010 when Bassnectar threw Star Scat into his IDJ mixtape. Having featured ragtime piano in past mixes, it is understandable that he would feature some gypsy swing this time around. I often find myself turning his mix to 8:47 in order to hear this song, and after doing so today as I get psyched to see Bassnectar in Albany in a week, I finally searched out the original artist. Now I can enjoy some of their other tracks too. It also makes me wonder if Caravan Palace was featured on the playlist Conor had going in February at Nazo Labs the last time I stopped by.

I hope you enjoy this tune, and if you feel like hearing it spliced into Bassnectar’s 2010 IDJ Mixtape (which I would highly recommend), it can be downloaded here.



*Images Courtesy of Wagram Music

No comments:

Post a Comment